With the majority of South Africa’s renewable energy projects located in the Northern Cape, the country’s largest province is emerging as a leader in the local sustainable energy stakes. Thanks to its abundance of wind resources, the Northern Cape is now home to the second highest number of wind farms in South Africa, placing it firmly as a front-runner in the renewable energy space.
List of Wind Farms in Northern Cape
- Copperton a new wind farm with 102 MW under construction in the Northern Cape
- 140 MW Garob Wind Farm in the Northern Cape
- 140MW Kangnas Wind Farm located in the Nama Khoi Municipality in the Northern Cape.
- Khobab Wind Farm under construction 60km north of Loeriesfontein in the Northern Cape
- 61 99m-high wind turbines at Loeriesfontein Wind Farm are currently under construction 60km north of Loeriesfontein in the Northern Cape
- Noblesfontein Wind Farm located in Karoo, Victoria West
- The 138 MW Roggeveld wind farm North of the town Matjiesfontein in the Karoo
- 43 Vestas 3.3MW turbines are being built at the 142MW Soetwater Wind Farm project located between Sutherland and Matjiesfontein, Northern Cape
Future Wind Farms in the Northern Cape
As more wind farms enter the planning and production stages within the Northern Cape, so too is the province set to make a substantial contribution to fossil fuel alternatives and clean, renewable energy for all South Africans.
Read more about the role that the Independent Power Producer programme is playing in developing a green economy for South Africa, and find out how wind turbine suppliers and investors are helping to reduce carbon emissions and create a sustainable future for our country, one wind farm at a time throughout South Africa.