Known for its sandy beaches and fresh onshore breezes, the Eastern Cape is helping to play its part in the growth of South Africa’s renewable energy resources through the development of a number of working wind farms. Thanks to ongoing projects throughout the province, the Eastern Cape’s commitment to sustainability has resulted in the reduction of hundreds of thousands of tons of carbon dioxide emissions, contributing to a brighter future for us all.
List of Wind Farms in Eastern Cape
- Amakhala Emoyeni Wind Farm near Bedford in the Eastern Cape Province, South Africa
- Chaba Wind Farm near Komga, Eastern Cape. One of the wind facilities developed by InnoWind integrated renewable energy company
- Cookhouse Wind Farm Development – a 140 megawatt project in the Eastern Cape
- Dorper Wind Farm is an Independent Power Producer in the Eastern Cape
- 111 MW Gibson Bay wind farm under construction in the Eastern Cape to go live 2017
- 48 2.5MW Goldwind 121/2500 low wind turbines for the Golden Valley wind farm project in Eastern Cape
- Grassridge Wind Farm in Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality, Eastern Cape
- Jeffreys Bay Wind Farm supplies Eskom with 460 000 MWh a year.
- COEGA Wind Farm construction video was the first commercial wind farm built in South Africa by Belgian company Electrawinds, launched in the Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality in the Eastern Cape in 2010
- Kouga delivering 80 megawatts of grid-connected capacity by making the most of the fresh onshore breezes 70km southwest of Port Elizabeth
- Msenge Emoyeni Wind Farm near Bedford in the Eastern Cape
- The 88 MW Nojoli wind farm is the Enel Group’s first wind farm to start production in Eastern Cape, South Africa
- The 140 MW Nxuba Wind Farm located between the towns of Cookhouse and Bedford in the Eastern Cape
- The 95 MW Onshore Wind Energy Facility Tsitsikamma community wind farm project 30 km west of Humasdorp, in the Eastern Cape
- The Metrowind Van Stadens Wind Farm near Port Elizabeth
- Waainek wind Farm 6km SW of Grahamstown in area known as “Waainek” (Afrikaans for “windy corner”)in the Eastern-Cape
- 33 MW Wesley-Ciskei wind project in the former Ciskei region of the Eastern Cape
Future Wind Farms in the Eastern Cape
The renewable energy sector has been tasked with supplying a full 42% of South Africa’s energy by the year 2030 – and wind farms are set to play a critical role in meeting this target. Thanks to the development of the Independent Power Producer programme, and plans to look to institutional investors for additional funding, the Eastern Cape is set to contribute to this target in a meaningful way.
Find out more about the Independent Power Producer programme, as well as the stakeholders involved in setting up new wind farms in the Eastern Cape and throughout South Africa, or look at wind turbines for sale in South Africa in order to start making your own contribution to our country’s sustainable future.