Since South Africa’s first wind farm became operational in 2014, many more large-scale projects have been developed throughout the country, with even more in the planning and construction stages. Thanks to the tireless efforts of those in support of renewable energy sources, South Africa is on its way towards strengthening its supply of clean, sustainable, and cost-effective power.
List of Wind Farms in South Africa
- Amakhala Emoyeni Wind Farm near Bedford in the Eastern Cape Province, South Africa
- Chaba Wind Farm near Komga, Eastern Cape. One of the wind facilities developed by InnoWind integrated renewable energy company
- Cookhouse Wind Farm Development – a 140 megawatt project in the Eastern Cape
- Copperton a new wind farm with 102 MW under construction in the Northern Cape
- Darling – A ground-breaking wind farm project from the first Independent Power Producer, 70km north of Cape Town
- Dassiesklip Wind Energy Facility 5 km west of Caledon in the Western Cape
- Dorper Wind Farm is an Independent Power Producer in the Eastern Cape
- 32 MW Excelsior Wind Energy Facility between Uitkyk and Excelsior near Swellendam in the Western Cape
- 140 MW Garob Wind Farm in the Northern Cape
- 111 MW Gibson Bay wind farm under construction in the Eastern Cape to go live 2017
- 48 2.5MW Goldwind 121/2500 low wind turbines for the Golden Valley wind farm project in Eastern Cape
- 138-MW Gouda Wind Farm with 46 AW100/3000 turbines in Drakenstein, 100 kilometers north-west of Cape Town
- Grassridge Wind Farm in Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality, Eastern Cape
- The Hopefield Wind Farm near the town of Hopefield in the Western Cape
- The Ishwati Emoyeni Wind Farm Project near Murraysburg in the Western Cape
- Jeffreys Bay Wind Farm supplies Eskom with 460 000 MWh a year.
- 140MW Kangnas Wind Farm located in the Nama Khoi Municipality in the Northern Cape.
- Khobab Wind Farm under construction 60km north of Loeriesfontein in the Northern Cape
- Klipheuwel Wind Farm 3 experimental wind turbines at Kilpheuwel, on the West Coast near Cape Town, constructed by Eskom, to be decommissioned.
- COEGA Wind Farm construction video was the first commercial wind farm built in South Africa by Belgian company Electrawinds, launched in the Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality in the Eastern Cape in 2010
- Kouga delivering 80 megawatts of grid-connected capacity by making the most of the fresh onshore breezes 70km southwest of Port Elizabeth
- 61 99m-high wind turbines at Loeriesfontein Wind Farm are currently under construction 60km north of Loeriesfontein in the Northern Cape
- Longyuan Mulilo De Aar 2 North Wind Energy Facility in De Aar, Northern Cape
- Msenge Emoyeni Wind Farm near Bedford in the Eastern Cape
- Noblesfontein Wind Farm located in Karoo, Victoria West
- The 88 MW Nojoli wind farm is the Enel Group’s first wind farm to start production in South Africa
- 99m-high wind turbines at Noupoort Wind Farm 10km east of Noupoort in the Northern Cape
- The 140 MW Nxuba Wind Farm located between the towns of Cookhouse and Bedford in the Eastern Cape
- 110 megawatts Perdekraal East wind farm located in the Western Cape
- The 138 MW Roggeveld wind farm North of the town Matjiesfontein in the Karoo
- Eskoms 100MW Sere Wind Farm Project near Koekenaap in the Western Cape. A wind farm planned by Eskom in Vredendal, in the Western Cape, and co-funded by the World Bank, the African Development Bank, and the Clean Technology Fund.
- 43 Vestas 3.3MW turbines are being built at the 142MW Soetwater Wind Farm project located between Sutherland and Matjiesfontein, Northern Cape
- The 95 MW Onshore Wind Energy Facility Tsitsikamma community wind farm project 30 km west of Humasdorp, in the Eastern Cape
- The Metrowind Van Stadens Wind Farm near Port Elizabeth
- Waainek wind Farm 6km SW of Grahamstown in area known as “Waainek” (Afrikaans for “windy corner”)in the Eastern-Cape
- 33 MW Wesley-Ciskei wind project in the former Ciskei region of the Eastern Cape
- West Coast One Wind Farm near Vredenburg, Western Cape
Future Wind Farm projects in South Africa
With government’s goal being to increase the country’s renewable energy resources to 17.8GW by 2030, South Africa’s wind farm programme, in conjunction with its Independent Power Producer programme, is becoming a key area of focus.
Learn more about the importance and advantages of using wind energy in South Africa and what makes the Eastern, Northern and Western Cape most suitable for wind farms, or compare wind turbine prices and wind turbines for sale in South Africa, and start becoming part of the solution to renewable energy and a better, cleaner, more sustainable future for us all.